NOTE: This is the last Art Journal challenge for 2011. Please make sure you read my note at the end of this challenge regarding our plans for 2012.
On to this weeks page….
1. I started out using 3 PanPastel colours. I used 2 browns over the middle section. I also used a purple for the top left and bottom right corners to darken the edges a bit so the middle section would appear lighter.
2. I then used a Distress Stain to create a darker border along the bottom of the page to serve as a “shelf” for my vase about to be drawn.
Distress Stains were brand new to me this week – yet another product that flies out the door and I have never had the opportunity to try until this week. Now I know why- love them!
3. I smudged a charcoal line on top of the stain bordern to create some shading.
4. I drew a vase.
5. I painted the vase using 2 different yellows and a gold. I also added some white for highlights. I defined the edges with a charcoal stick to create a bit of shadow also.
6. I used a Jenni Bowlin paint dabber to dab some dots that would represent my flower centres.
7. I then added some stems in pencil.
8. I then sketched from petals in around the red dots. You could work the other way if you wanted to also – draw the flowers first then the red dot centres.
9. I then used a turquoise, light blue and a green to colour in the flowers. The turquoise was my main colour with the light blue and green used for a few flowers or just highlights.
10. I then roughly drew around each flower with a white gelly roll pen.
I also painted in the stems with brown paint and a very thin brush. I also stamped an image on the front of the vase. I sanded the image just slightly so it would blend into the vase more once dry. I used versafine ink which is fantastic for fine line stamp images.
11. I then added an ornate stamped image in the top left hand corner and drew a charcoal line across the top of the page and added some journaling in white pen. I also added in some details on the vase at the top and bottom in the form of a stripe.
Thank you for following along and joining in each week. It has been fun to set aside a little bit of creative time each week as well as explore new products and techniques. Most of these pages have been completed in one sitting and usually in less than half an hour. You may be like me and don’t have a lot of time, so completing these quick art journal pages each week has been an enjoyable part of my week.
All of the art journaling posts from this year can be found by clicking on the ART JOURNAL category link in the right hand side bar of the blog HERE.
BIG NEWS! We have an Art Journaling subscription kit in the works for 2012. The cost of the kit will be
$40.00 per month (edited to $44.00). As part of the kit you will receive products as well as step by step instructions to complete 3 artworks each month in the size of 6×9 inches.
We will have subscription information in the newsletter in the coming weeks with some subscriptions incentives included.
If you wish to register your interest in subscribing to the monthly kit please email us at firstname.lastname@example.org Your interest will help us determine the incentives we will have on offer.
PLEASE NOTE: Registering your interest in the monthly kit does not mean you are committing to a subscription.